Historic Districts & Sites in Pomona
Lincoln Park Historic District- A National Register of Historic Places historic district as well as both a State and Local historic district. This was the first historic district created under Pomona's 1995 Historic Preservation Ordinance which provides for the designation of historic sites and districts within the city of Pomona. The district is the second largest historic district in the nation with over 150 individual homes included. The district includes homes built from the1880s to 1945 and includes Victorian, Craftsman, Spanish/Mediterranean, Tudor, and a variety of transitional styles.
Wilton Heights Historic District- A Local historic district created under Pomona's 1995 Historic Preservation Ordinance. The district, to the west of Lincoln Park, includes homes built from the 1880s to 1945 and includes Victorian, Craftsman, Spanish/Mediterranean, Tudor, and a variety of transitional styles.
Hacienda Park Historic District- A Local historic district created under Pomona's 1995 Historic Preservation Ordinance. The district includes homes built from 1880s to 1945 and includes Victorian, Craftsman, Spanish/Mediterranean, Tudor, and a variety of transitional styles. This district, bisected by the I10 Freeway, is to the north and west of Lincoln Park.
Edison Historic District- A National Register of Historic Places historic district designated in 1986 (prior to the local historic preservation ordinance), this commercial district is located at 611, 637, and the 500 block. of W. Second St. in downtown Pomona. This area includes the old Edison electrical transmission station which fronts on 1st Street.
Single Historic Buildings in Pomona
Pomona Fox Theater- A National Register of Historic Places historic district designated in 1982 is located at 102-144 3rd St. in downtown Pomona at the corner of 3rd and Garey. The 1500 seat movie theater was built in 1931. After being closed for many years it reopened in April 2009. The building has been fully restored to Secretary of the Interior Standards and is now a multi-use venue.
The Ebell Club of Pomona- Now the Ebell Museum of Pomona History, the 100 year old club house is home to the Historical Society of the Pomona Valley. The museum is open to the public.
Pomona City Stable- A National Register of Historic Places historic district designated in 2004 is also a local and state designated landmark. Located at 636 W. Monterey Ave. this was the site of the original 1909 city stables.
Ygnacio Palomares Adobe- Location : 491 E Arrow Hwy, Pomona. Completed about 1854 and restored in 1939, this was the family home of Don Ygnacio Palomares. Governor Juan B. Alvarado granted Rancho San Jose to Don Ygnacio and Don Ricardo Vejar in 1837.
La Casa Primera de Rancho San Jose-The first home of Ygnacio Palomares, before moving to the Palomares Adobe, this site is operated for the city of Pomona by the Historical Society. The site is open to the public on Sundays.
La Casa Alvarado- Pomona's second Adobe, built for Ygnacio Palomares son, this site is privately owned and is not open to the public.
Temporary Detention Camps for Japanese Americans-Pomona Assembly Center- (Fairplex)-State Historic Landmark #934. The temporary detention camps (also known as 'assembly centers') represent the first phase of the mass incarceration of 97,785 Californians of Japanese ancestry during World War II. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 19, 1942, thirteen makeshift detention facilities were constructed at various California racetracks, fairgrounds, and labor camps. These facilities were intended to confine Japanese Americans until more permanent concentration camps, such as those at Manzanar and Tule Lake in California, could be built in isolated areas of the country. Beginning on March 30, 1942, all native-born Americans and long-time legal residents of Japanese ancestry living in California were ordered to surrender themselves for detention.
Pomona 2nd Street Pedestrian Mall- Designed by renowned Pomona artist Millard Sheets, as one of the first downtown pedestrian malls in the country. It features river rock planters and a series of four fountains by noted artists.